by Jason Ramsey
Chelsea Lately has been on E! for seven years, and last night was the final episode. The star and host, Chelsea Handler, has interviewed some of Hollywood’s best and brightest. During this time she has also helped people find jobs, and given struggling comedians a new lease on life. Many careers have been built off of the success of this show. Whitney Cummings has probably seen the most exposure and success, but there were many how benefited.
Her unconventional interview style dirty mouth and blue humor scared some, and had others unwilling to come on the show. For the ones who stood up to there fear and came on anyway, they got the best reward ever, her friendship. Based on many accounts, she takes no prisoners and makes fun of everyone, but if you could stand her harsh honesty, then Handler is also one of the kindest, most generous people on the planet.
Proof of this can be seen from the videos of the Live Finale that aired last night. The clips are on YouTube and the best ones are embedded below, and the photo above. It’s truly unbelievable how many people cared enough about her to show up. Almost every type of artist showed up too. From ex-boyfriend and rapper 50 Cent, to country star Leann Rimes, to comedian Tim Allen, and even astronaut Buzz Aldren. Others included Selena Gomez, Gerard Butler, Wiz Khalifa, Chloe Moretz, Johnny Knoxville, Fergie, Vanessa Hudgens, Jennifer Aniston, Miley Cyrus, Melissa McCarthy, Dave Grohl, and Sandra Bullock were among the many celebrities who gathered to send off late night host Chelsea Handler on her final E! talk show. At the end Gwen Stefani and Handler led the stars, for their “We Are the World”-esque performance of “Roll Yourself a Joint and Have a Drink.”
Handler followed the song with this, “I’m really really appreciative to E! for giving me this opportunity to do the show and I never really got a chance to be serious and say thank you,” she told the audience. I’ll see you on Netflix!”
There were many highlights from the show, here are the top 5:
1. Chelsea Handler Takes a Naked Shower with Ellen– After her brief opening monologue, Chelsea was back in the shower, where instead of running into Conan O’Brien and Sandra Bullock as she’s done in the past, a fully-clothed Ellen DeGeneres showed up to surprise her fellow host. The daytime host was curious as to why she’d never been invited on the show, asking, “Is it because I’m a lesbian?”
2. Sandra Bullock, Jennifer Aniston, and Mary McCormack staged an intervention. The late night host could hardly hold it together as these three beautiful women roasted her while not allowing her to speak. The big joke was that Handler’s ‘move to Netflix’ was code for rehab. “Netflix is a wonderful facility where you’ll be able to get all the help you need,” they told her.
3. Miley Cyrus performed a version of Roy Orbison’s “It’s Over”. Handler introduced her by saying “It has been said that a truly great television series isn’t over until you have Hannah Montana says it’s over.” Cyrus then reminded us that even though her hair, and outfit were horrible, she still is one of the most talented people in the business.
4. Chuy Bravo was brought to tears. The funny little man, and sidekick of Chelsea’s for the past seven years gave her a montage to show his appreciation. Chuy ended the segment wiping tears from his eyes and telling the star he loves her and prays for her every night before he goes to sleep. Bravo wore a tux and was truly moved by all Handler had done for him.
5. A Truly Insane Number Of Stars Sing ‘Goodbye E!’– Filling the stage with all the ones previously mentioned plus- including Alanis Morissette, Gerard Butler, Tim Gunn, T.J. Miller, Josh Gad, Kathy Griffin, Kevin Nealon and Sammy Hagar (to name a few, but definitely not all) — a chorus of famous people sang, “Goodbye E!, it’s time to move on.”
Who wasn’t on the Chelsea Lately finale?!
via Sarah Colonna’s Vine feed
via Chelsea Handler’s Instagram feed